I don’t have much to report today. Shabbat was pretty normal with all the usual good and bad points. When I checked my email after Shabbat was over I had some bad news that is troubling me. My sister and brother-in-law popped in right after I had the bad news, so I wasn’t really able to give them much of my attention. The bad news plus the sister and BIL visit ate up the time I wanted to use for working on my novel. So there isn’t much to say tonight.
However, Oryx of The Easy Kill blog nominated me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Thank you! My answers are below.
Rules for the award
- Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link back to their blog so others can find them.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions.
- Notify the nominees about it by commenting on one of their blog posts.
- List the rules and display a Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or your blog site.
I’m not going to nominate anyone as only a few people read my blog and some of them don’t have blogs of their own, but anyone who is reading this can consider themselves nominated if they want (I like the blogs of every blogger who comments here). I’ll post some questions at the end.
- Why did you start blogging? Did it meet up to your initial expectations?
I’ve been blogging on different platforms since 2006 (I think), so it’s not easy to remember! I think I wanted to reach out to people. At the time I was very depressed and unable to work and I was feeling very isolated socially and wanting to reach out to try to find people who understood me.
I think I probably had some unrealistic expectations about what could happen, in terms of the numbers of friends I could make and readers I could get, but I’ve made some good friends from it, some of whom are still reading this blog, so I think that counts as a success.
2. If you could choose one song/piece of music that describes who you are as a person, or that describes some very important part of yourself, which one would it be and why?
I tend to fixate on specific songs at specific times for reasons that aren’t always clear to me and then to suddenly transfer that attention to another song, but I think one song that resonates with me a lot is Does Everyone Stare by The Police, which is about a socially awkward man who is worried that he is alienating his girlfriend by being weird. I can empathise with that.
3. What musical instrument do you play/ do you wish you could play/ do you like to hear the most?
I don’t play an instrument and have never really wanted to play one. I don’t think there is one I like to hear more than any other either.
4. What is something you wish was common knowledge about your mental illness(es)?
For depression, I think that depression is not just about feeling upset, but also about being exhausted all the time.
I think high functioning autism is so misunderstood that almost any aspect could be more well-known, but I guess to clarify that it’s not a mental illness or learning disability, but a social communication and information processing disability and what that entails in terms of interactions with other people and seeming “weird” (which is too much for a short blog post!).
5. Where in the world do you wish you would have grown up and why?
Sometimes I wish I had grown up in New York or Israel, just because the Jewish communities there are so much larger and offer many more options for a Jewish lifestyle than are available in the UK. But then I think of the downsides of living in those countries and think maybe I was better off growing up in the UK after all.
6. What do you think is an essential quality in a good friend?
7. What is your favourite way to relax?
Watching old episodes of Doctor Who and other classic British TV science fiction.
8. What funny thing happened to you/did you see happening recently?
I’m not sure I can think of anything off the top of my head.
9. Name one realistic goal you want to achieve in the next 5 years.
Finish writing my novel (and get it published, but that’s less realistic).
10. What colour/pattern is your bedroom wallpaper?
11. What is your favourite dish? Do you like to make it yourself or do you like it best when someone in particular prepares it for you?
I don’t have a huge preference, but probably pizza, ideally cooked for me in a restaurant as frozen pizzas bought from the kosher supermarket never quite taste the same.
OK, on to the questions for whoever wants to be nominated:
- Do you have a favourite novel or author? What do you like about them?
- What was your best subject at school?
- What is your biggest regret (that you feel comfortable sharing)?
- What is your favourite hobby?
- What was the last film you watched in the cinema?
- Are you a glass half-empty or half-full person?
- Did you ever have any pets?
- If you were having a very stressful day, what food or drink would you be most likely to reach for in the evening?
- Do you speak any other languages?
- What do you most wish other people knew about you?
- What is your ideal job?